On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Alexandre Rafalovitch
<arafa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
>> While I somewhat agree with both the points of Furkan and Alexandre, I am
>> not sure which way you are leaning:
>
> If somebody had time/money/permission, that's what I would do
> 1. Migrate wiki to an archive area in bulk and freeze - do not delete

+1

> 2. Mark it as Google non-crawlable in robot.txt

Don't do that. Setting up a permanent redirect to new pages is enough.
Google and other bots soon figure out that the new pages are supposed
to be the definitive page and they stop showing old pages. By marking
them as non-crawlable, you will stop bots from accessing our old pages
and not even the permanent redirects will be read by them. This means
that the page rank for our new pages will have to be rebuilt over time
as more and more people link to them.

> 3. Setup proper redirects for the well known old URLs (use Google
> analytics, log analytics or common sense to figure it out)

We should make sure it is a HTTP 301 - permanent redirect instead of HTTP 302.

> 4. Setup Log watch for URLs that used to go to the wiki. As particular
> URLs that are hit, review and create stub pages, contact originating
> pages to ask to point to new location
> 5. Do something about JavaDocs polluting Google Index. At minimum,
> create /latest/ as a stable URL path and have it very Google visible.
> Make the rest of the versions in archive, non-crawlable. There is a
> lot more that can be done here, but probably not as part of this
> cleanup (see my older post about it)

I am not sure if that is a big problem for Solr. How many people look
at our javadocs? How many of us actually write them?

> 6. Fix general SEO about highlighting Solr's best new features (NRT,
> Cloud, Schema/SchemaLess)

+1

> 7. Setup proper analytics (is there any?), so we could at least tell
> what people find and what they do not.

I know this has come up before. I think there is a legal issue with
using free analytics tools such as Google Analytics etc. I'd love to
see that though.

> 8. Decide what happens with non-commiters contributions (still not
> clear to me). If tips and tricks is the main focus, then perhaps there
> should be some dedicated space for it with voting or whatever. Or
> delegate that to StackOverflow's communal wiki services, which gives
> authentication, voting, gamification, etc. Or even create a separate
> SEARCH group on SO with questions spanning all the different Lucene-
> and non-Lucene-based offerings. I bet there will be a lot of common
> questions on tokenization, etc.
>
> The problem I guess is to figure out what the critical path is. Some
> things cannot be done alone or they will hurt the community.  E.g.
> freeze the wiki AND give no way to contribute - is not so good.
>
> Regards,
>     Alex.
>

> Personal website: http://www.outerthoughts.com/
> Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr