On Jan 18, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:

> On 1/18/2011 at 12:14 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> There clearly is no consensus for removing Maven support from Lucene.
>>
>> and see there is my problem, there was no consensus to begin with, now
>> suddenly its "de-facto" required. Maven is quite an insidious computer
>> virus.
>
> So you think you personally have the power to remove functionality from
> Lucene that has the support of multiple committers?

If he thought that, he would have removed maven from svn by now!

From my point of view, but perhaps I misremember:

At some point, Grant or someone put in some Maven poms. I don't think anyone
else really paid attention. Later, as we did releases, and saw and dealt with
these poms, most of us commented against Maven support. It just feels to me
like it slipped in - and really its the type of thing that should have been
more discussed and thought out, and perhaps voted upon. Maven snuck into Lucene
IMO. To my knowledge, the majority of core developers do not want maven in the
build and/or frown on dealing with Maven. We could always have a little vote to
gauge numbers - I just have not wanted to rush to another vote thread myself ;)
Users are important too - but they don't get official votes - it's up to each
of us to consider the User feelings/vote in our opinions/votes as we see fit
IMO.

- Mark