The commit then push workflow *is* what allows you to maintain multiple
local branches without the nightmare of having multiple checkouts, and
managing them.

I don't think that moving to GIT has anything to do with Github. With SVN,
we also don't have any nice user interface and/or pull requests, so the
lack of one in GIT is irrelevant in my opinion.

If we consider moving to GIT, we might also want to look at using Gerrit
for our code reviews and patch submissions. It makes the code review aspect
much easier, nicer and helpful.

Shai