A git clone is just too slow right now the way its setup. So what will
be done to fix that? Currently, svn is way faster in the worst case.
In the time it takes to git clone, i can do 10 svn checkouts.

I sometimes use git, but usually when working on software, i don't
work on trivial things. I do nontrivial stuff and sometimes shit
breaks, including git workspaces and including git itself. On average
do I get > 10 branches per clone() ? Not sure.

I dont know if its because there used to be JAR files in the source
trees back in the day or what, but fixing this is really mandatory.
Remember for a new developer its also something they must always do,
so its not just when 'git fucks up for me', it is a slow operation
that occasionally people must deal with. And its just too slow.

git clone:
Cloning into 'lucene-solr'...
remote: Counting objects: 563630, done.
remote: Total 563630 (delta 329023), reused 539045 (delta 304604)
Receiving objects: 100% (563630/563630), 356.90 MiB | 1.79 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (329023/329023), done.
Checking connectivity... done.

real    3m43.157s
user    0m38.243s
sys    0m10.480s

svn co:
Checked out revision 1682598.
real    0m34.713s
user    0m5.504s
sys    0m4.170s

PS don't tell me i dont know how to use git correctly, i dont care to
hear your religious arguments. A clone is still the worst case
operation, so it must be supported. Its also the first thing someone
must do, if they want to work with the codebase. And with git right
now, its broken (too slow) for lucene-solr.