On Apr 6, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Grant Ingersoll
> <grant.ingers...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't see why we need a compile/test dependency is needed at all:
>> We provide a factory based spatial module where one specifies a
>> SpatialProvider.  We have our own implementation of that which works for
>> some set (or all) of the features.   An external project (Apache Extras?)
>
> This is the non-starter for me.  This would split the dev across
> multiple places and mean that the implementations I use (JTS) would
> not be a first class citizen in testing.
>
> This is the point of the whole debate... and why i think elsewhere may
> be a better option.

That's a bit contradictory, though, isn't it?  By definition, elsewhere means
split too, b/c we have stated the point search stuff isn't going anywhere.  And
even if it does, you will still need to have a separate factory based
implementation and ship a non-JTS provider, otherwise none of it can be
packaged into a L/S release, so it's still the same amount of work.