I have done a *lot* of automating this. Redoing it recently it was quite
embarrassing to realise how much complexity there is involved in it - it
is crazy hard to get a basic, production ready SolrCloud setup running.
One thing that is hard is getting a ZooKeeper ensemble going - using
Exhibitor makes it much easier.
Something that has often occurred to me is, why do we require people to
go download a separate ZooKeeper, and work out how to install and
configure it, when we have it embedded already? Why can't we just have a
'bin/solr zk start' command which starts an "embedded" zookeeper, but
without Solr. To really make it neat, we offer some way (a la Exhibitor)
for multiple concurrently started ZK nodes to autodiscover each other,
then getting our three ZK nodes up won't be quite so treacherous.
Just a thought.

Upayavira