I'm not going to thoroughly discuss the migration path from Jira to GitHub
here, but generally, the rough image in my mind is the same as Jan
described -  "Milestone" for version tracking, and "labels" for other
purposes (issue types, component types, etc.).

As for the proposal of in-house GitLab, it could be an option (if UI/UX is
the only problem) but I don't think it's feasible.
We need high availability platform and we don't have machine/human
resources to operate such mission-critical in-house service on our own.
And, even if it's possible, we still have to switch between two platforms -
it doesn't solve my problem.

> That's precisely the crux of the disagreement: I want to be able to
register
> an account at Apache and *not* GitHub and still be able to contribute.

> Is the original Jira -> GitHub move just a change of defaults or are we,
> once moved to GitHub, not letting people use Jira at all anymore ?

Interesting point - is there anyone else who doesn't have or use GitHub
account and *won't sign up or sign in for it* ?

Tomoko