I think both tools have their merits and drawbacks

What I like about Jira:

   - It has ample room and configuration for issue metadata and
   customizable workflows and in general a deep feature set
   - It has user roles, PMC members can see security issues that are hidden
   from the world...
   - I've used it for almost 20 years so It's familiar to me.
   - It's hosted at the ASF by the ASF so nobody but the ASF can determine
   access or hold it hostage (I think, correct me if I'm wrong and we're now
   using atlassian cloud versions).

What Ii do not like about Jira

   - They have had LONG standing issues with text and visual mode not
   round-tripping (switching between them alters the text and often destroys
   formatting) which is something even cheap blogging software usually gets
   right.... this is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING at times where the proper name of
   something in code includes an underscore. Especially bad is the fact that
   the do provide a way to escape things like underscores but the transition
   between visual and text destroys that escaping, making it useless, and if
   you carefully set up the escapes in text mode, one small edit by someone
   else (perhaps fixing a typo) in visual mode destroys all your hard work!
   GRRRR... And of course text mode is sometimes hard to predict so working in
   text mode with any non-trivial formatting that you may wind up re-editing
   several times which at apache sends multiple emails to the list...
   usability nightmare.
   - They switched to a default search result layout that wasn't a sortable
   table/list. This irritates me because I never want to randomly fill 70% of
   the screen with the top hit on a search and have almost no info about all
   the other results. Typically I want to immediately sort by issue number to
   find recent issues (or older issues depending). Even if text relevancy is
   the important thing in my search, assuming the top hit is what I want is
   poor.
   - By default searches typed in the easily accessed search box run
   against every project so then the very first thing I have to do is re-run
   with a project filter. Maintaining a project context would be very helpful.
   - UI can become cumbersome for filtering on issue fields with many
   values (typeahead search presumes you know the name to start with).
   - Sometimes slow.

What I like about Github

   - It fixes the first and third issue I don't like about jira (edit round
   trip and typically has a project context).
   - UI updates without explicit refresh
   - Generally nice look and feel
   - Integration of github actions, pull requests, review, and code
   repository is excellent.
   - Closing issues via commit message is nice for small projects...

What I don't like about github.

   - Very limited and no custom issue metadata
   - arbitrary file attachments are not supported. Notably .patch is not
   included in their list (GIF, JPEG, JPG, MOV, MP4, PNG, SVG, CSV, DOCX,
   FODG, FODP, FODS, FODT, GZ, LOG, MD, ODF, ODG, ODP, ODS, ODT, PDF, PPTX,
   TXT, XLS, XLSX or ZIP).
   - Search interface for issues is the equivalent of the Jira JQL search
   line, and requires learning their syntax for anything but the most basic,
   and is:issue must be retained (and wastes space in the small text field) or
   it suddenly starts finding non-issues items.
   - No concept of workflow (without add/on or plugins).
   - Closing issues via commit message is not good where you would want to
   ensure review or have any sort of workflow
   - It's owned by Microsoft, which while MUCH improved in recent years has
   a horrible dark, evil past WRT open source and standards. Above allegations
   regarding political banning of individuals is also very troubling and
   unfortunately, increasingly relevant in the current global political
   landscape.

>From the lucene perspective I see some things we have now in Jira that I
don't see a way to maintain in github

   - Security issues that are visible to PMC only (more common for solr,
   but perhaps needed for lucene sometimes as well)
   - Patch review based on an attached patch.
   - Accepting patch files instead of pull requests...
   - Contribution by folks who for some reason cannot use github (either
   blocked by work or github politics or, unwilling to accept githubs
   terms/privacy etc.)
   - Document with each issue the Affected version and the fixed version.
   - While one can create arbitrary labels, they are not segregated into
   fields so we would have to put up with what is effectively a single field
   for priority, component, and resolution
   - No way to enforce that a resolution label is applied to the issue.

I feel that Github issues are simply lacking in depth and riding along on
the virtue of their integrations. I feel like their issue tracking
implementation is a lower priority sideline to their code repository (so
they can say they have it).  On the flip side Jira has become hugely
entrenched in the industry and its profits are no-longer tied to innovation
or even usability... and it shows. So I am basically dissatisfied with both
(for most of the last 20 years I've been known to mutter about writing my
own issue tracker... I've not met one that didn't irritate me somehow,
though I haven't actually tried yet, because that's a LOT of work ;) ).

Given how many things I've listed, it's likely something's wrong or
misapprehended, so certainly speak up if I'm just unaware of something in
github.

In the end I don't feel like the benefits of github are worth giving up the
data quality and features that we do actually use in Jira, so I'm -0.9 on
moving to github.

-Gus

--
http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)