Hello Mayya, I can share my view. Strictly speaking, we only need a new
codec version if the on-disk format changes for some type (like kNN vectors
in this case). Otherwise we can just evolve the logic in the same way we do
with other code, making the improvements in-place. Alessandro's PR is a
good example of this -- it's a refactor that happens to touch the
vectors reader code. It doesn't require a totally new codec version.

With your PR for LUCENE-10592, I don't think we technically need a new
codec for it, because the on-disk format remains the same. But since it's
such a big change that deeply affects the vectors writing logic, it feels
convenient that we're making it in a new format (maybe feels a bit clearer/
safer).

Julie