> Can you describe your crash in more detail?

I can't. That experiment was a while ago and a quick test to see if I
could index rather large-ish USPTO (patent office) data as vectors.
Couldn't do it then.

> How much RAM?

My indexing jobs run with rather smallish heaps to give space for I/O
buffers. Think 4-8GB at most. So yes, it could have been the problem.
I recall segment merging grew slower and slower and then simply
crashed. Lucene should work with low heap requirements, even if it
slows down. Throwing ram at the indexing/ segment merging problem
is... I don't know - not elegant?

Anyway. My main point was to remind folks about how Apache works -
code is merged in when there are no vetoes. If Rob (or anybody else)
remains unconvinced, he or she can block the change. (I didn't invent
those rules).

D.