I think we should focus on testing where the limits are and what might cause the limits.

Let's get out of this fog :-)

Thanks

Michael

Am 06.04.23 um 11:47 schrieb Michael McCandless:
> We shouldn't accept weakly/not scientifically motivated vetos anyway right?

In fact we must accept all vetos by any committer as a veto, for a change to Lucene's source code, regardless of that committer's reasoning.  This is the power of Apache's model.

Of course we all can and will work together to convince one another (this is where the scientifically motivated part comes in) to change our votes, one way or another.

> I'd ask anyone voting +1 to raise this limit to at least try to index a few million vectors with 756 or 1024, which is allowed today.

+1, if the current implementation really does not scale / needs more and more RAM for merging, let's understand what's going on here, first, before increasing limits.  I rescind my hasty +1 for now!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com