If I set IJ build/test to "gradle" and then right click on "core" in
> the Project tab -- it gives an option like "run tests in
> lucene-root.lucene.core" which works.

It works because you're running all tests in a module.

> At the very top (lucene
> [lucene-root]) of the hierarchy you can right-click and select "run
> all tests", but this fails with "Error running 'All in lucene-root':
> No junit.jar". I thought this had once worked, but maybe I was only
> running tests in core?

It can't work in the current setup - the topmost project isn't a Java
module. Maybe it worked at some point when we had ant-generated intellij
files (which aggregated everything on the same classpath)? I honestly can't
remember.

Honestly, if you want to run everything, add a gradle configuration and run
it there - it'll be faster than a sequential run from the IDE.

Dawid