I've taken a look at intellij source code and I don't think the default
annotation preprocessor location can be easily redirected in "intellij
compilation" mode. This personally doesn't bother me much but maybe you're
right that the official developer docs shouldn't make people think too hard
and assume gradle is used both from command line and the IDE - I honestly
don't know... IDEs are a moving target, it's really difficult to keep up
with the changes, eh.

D.