Something that the Mahout PMC might want to do is share the (rough)
criteria for becoming a Mahout committer. In many projects, this is quite
vague and leaves a lot of leeway up to the PMC, which is desirable for a
variety of reasons. However the reason I mention it is that up until now,
others I've spoken to within the Hadoop community have felt that large new
algorithm contributions are basically what will earn someone committership
on Mahout. Based on this thread, consensus seems to be forming that that is
*not* what is desired. So what's your rough ideal committer at this point
in the life of Mahout if they are not contributing new algorithms? I guess
it's things like code reviews, correctness fixes, perf improvements, and
refactorings / enhancements?

Regarding attribution, I saw it mentioned elsewhere in this thread and I
noticed it myself so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. While it seems like
a small thing, I wonder whether instituting the Hadoopish "Contributed by
so-and-so" in commit messages to assign credit for patches by
non-committers would be help make contributors feel more appreciated for
their work. Especially if you want to encourage people to contribute lots
of small patches on their way to committership. Alternatively, putting
"(Joe Newbie via Jim Veteran)" into every commit also acknowledges the
committer/reviewer, which is not an easy job and can help people feel
appreciated for that work as well.

Finally, if there are places where the current committers know Mahout needs
work, or has holes, have those been articulated in any specific way? If not
I think that would be awesome. I know that in general, several of the docs
are out of date on the wiki. I suppose that's one. I wonder what else tops
the to-do list. Is there something other than just the open JIRA list <
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MAHOUT%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>?

Hope this helps.

Regards,