On Monday, March 25, 2013 01:27:50 PM Shannon Quinn wrote:
> On that note: GSoC is coming up, and I think it's a great opportunity to
> build some momentum in this direction. I know that when students see
> "scalable machine learning" their first thought isn't improving testing
> and documentation, but if we pushed hard in those areas specifically, in
> addition to making a broad effort on JIRA to elucidate exactly what
> needs work, we could likely pick up several quality students that could
> make lasting contributions.

As a side note on GSoC: At least at German universities the general concept of
GSoC isn't particularly well known which makes me think that reaching out to
students could be helpful. I'm aware of two PhD. students on this list who
probably know students with good coding skills - it might be worth the effort
reaching out to those directly for testing and optimisation tasks.

Also, do we have any volunteers to drive a GSoC at Mahout initiative?

Isabel