On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am still a fan of GSOC,

Same here - though thinking back I may just have been extremely lucky with
the students I had gotten.

> but there is no chance I have enough time to help

Again same here. Note: This doesn't mean that GSoC is a whole lot of work.
Actually I never really noticed and it was always a good way to learn where
in the project we are lacking documentation or the bread crumbs to find the
docs. It's just slightly bad timing that GSoC starts roundabout the time
that Berlin Buzzwords needs quite a bit of my attention.

> (although my working with Dan recently is a bit of a counter example)

A good point to take up maybe: If you know students who are looking for a
project (not necessarily in machine learning, as pointed out earlier, even
optimisation and building better examples and integration are welcome
projects) it may be worth pointing them to the mailing list. There's a good
chance that committers have (or can create) the cycles needed to mentor a
motivated student.

Isabel