Simon Phipps wrote:
I was with you at the beginning of that, Don, but I'm surprised to hear you saying "free R&D" given what you've written on LXer recently. It's not free/gratis. It costs every one of us time, many of us money as well. As the cost of the R & D is not bourne by a single entity, you're right that it's pointless to try to estimate a dollar value for it unless you also establish the exchange rate. But it's not free/gratis. Each community member invests according to their ability and goals, and they do so because they expect to see a return on that investment on their own terms and timescale.

I think that what he was saying is that it's free to the company that takes advantage of it, not to the people who actually do the R&D.

--
Steven Shelton
Twilight Media & Design