On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 19:58 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:

> As both professional developer and project leader/(primary)
> customer-contact from 1998 (BTW working in an office-environment) I've
> never ever seen a trace of any doubt of software because of EE's.
> I've seen likes or some dislikes. Never any concerns.

I don't know that market, others will have to answer. I do know that in
the market I am in "discovering" space invaders embedded in spreadsheets
will make it difficult to get OOo into some of the schools. If its not a
big issue one way or another to you perhaps you will have concern for my
efforts in my market.

> (I even made a nice, simple EE myself, but that's completely off topic.)
> Nor have my recent customers/ prospects ever asked any information in
> this direction.
> Questions about software being trustworthy and secure, are managed at a
> different level and are about completely different issues.
> That's 1.

Trustworthy is not my concern, distraction is and will be of a
significant number of my customers. Others might see trustworthy as more
important in their markets.

> The three major issues in marketing OOo are:
> - people knowing the product
> - the exchange with Ms documents.
> - the interoperability with 3rd party software.
> - The need for more documentation/examples, desires a strong fourth place.

No argument but other factors can make or break it in particular
markets. Why take unnecessary risks?

> So being serious with marketing, I see there's a lot to do that matters
> much much more.

Yes I agree if its difficult to do which is why I said it needs a
cost-benefit appraisal. If its easy to remove, just do it otherwise
perhaps don't.

> 7.
> There have been some words about how the community works, or should work.
> I know of several people in our (small) active Dutch-language community,
> that rather spent time on actually promoting OOo, or making
> documentation, or tools, than reading the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list. It just is
> not taken seriously, and seen as a waste of time.

Well I tried to make a post to change that. Using this particualr thread
as a focus. Maybe we can change things but not if we can never get
agreement because people who have little interest in something argue
about it for the sake of arguing.

> So how should the outcome of discussions at [EMAIL PROTECTED] be taken into
> account in the context of the broader community?
> Take my own position. Is there any reason why actively contributing to
> this discussion, should be nearby as useful as working on marketing and
> prospects for my OOo/SO-based business?

That is for you to decide. If your time is better spent there, spend it
there. We can change the situation here but it will require some
specific actions and cooperation.

> The only reason I do participate a little, is a sort of hope, that
> people might become inspired to take the step toward constructive
> activities.

Sorry, that was my intention. But I think strategy comes before detail
and we need to get that strategy right first.

> > I doubt in any discussion we will ever get unanimity so perhaps you
> > might take that into account.
> Of course. I saw a note of Sophie (IIRC) on others whose contribution
> might be of interest.
> However my suggestion would be: leave the topic, and find yourself some
> nice jobs to do. And if you like a chat, go to a bar or so ;-)

To me its a serious topic because it affects the market I'm in. I'm also
trying to have a serious thread on management strategy but perhaps it is
a lost cause.  Worth a final try buut as I said there if no-one wants to
change just keep up the status quo

I have to go to work now so bye.

--
Ian Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>