On Monday 03 September 2007 01:19, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> thanks for your post, I've included your suggestions into the Wiki on
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MarketingCampaign_Q3-2007
>
> Just some short comments:
> > T-shirts and thumbdrives are expensive and restrictive.  Remember we are
> > trying to touch millions, expensive items restrict.  Also that sort of
> > thing has to be managed, storing the stuff, managing inventory.  That in
> > itself turns into a cost.  I strongly advise against hard marketing
> > materials.  Do that sort of thing at local level with material created
> > centrally through the Art project. (Heh, and that is saying something
> > seeing as how I sell that sort of stuff on ooogear.co.nz)  If Local
> > people can download flyers and posters print them locally and distribute
> > them that would be far better.
>
> I only can talk from a view of the Germanophone project, but USB drives
> are one of our most important marketing instruments out there. They are
> really a go!

Agreed that they are popular.  The problem is that their effectiveness in
terms of spread of the message is limited.  Yes, they would be an option if
we had several million dollars to spend.  We have to be cost effective in
terms of getting the Brand out there.  USB drives and those sort of promo
items are best at local sales level.  We do not have the infrastructure to
deal with the logistics involved with inventory and distribution.

Right now this campaign should be aimed Globally so that when our local people
front up to a new User, that person goes:
"OpenOffice.org? I've heard of that."

When they go to make a decision about an office suite we need them to know
about OOo as an alternative to MSO.

> > Google ads are good for several reasons
> > We only pay for click through
> > We can manage the process to suit the budget
> > We will get some useful statistics
>
> IIRC, we had Google ads in the past, so we maybe should choose something
> else this time.

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that was done by Anthony Long and we
never had the opportunity to measure the effectiveness.  Now that we have the
Why.openoffice.org site we have that opportunity.

One of the most important parts of any marketing campaign is research.
Measuring a campaigns effectiveness is an essential role of any Marketing
organisation.

> Florian

Cheers

GL

--
"GET LEGAL - GET OPENOFFICE.ORG"
http://why.openoffice.org

Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
Moderator New Zealand
(International Grades in Office Technologies)
www.theingots.org.nz

GET DRESSED GET OOOGEAR
http://ooogear.co.nz