putting it in cereal boxes is really an excellent way to get it to the attention of people as "average jane/joe" sees it in the supermarket. this is a top spot and worth lot.

regarding the actual use of the cd, perhaps its not that effective as people buy cereal to eat and not to install a computer software. so from a usage perspective, CDs would perhaps better be used in context with education. to stimulate actual use of the CD in the cereal boxes, additions of CC music or videos might be something (http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/linux/11085/fedora-creative-commons-team-deliver-livecontent-distribution)