On Friday 12 October 2007 06:36, andylockran wrote:
> That's another interesting idea.   To market PCs for the kids to take home
> themselves, rather than just for their time at school.  That's a really
> good idea.  To be honest, we could probably do some sort of deal like "get
> 100" box tokens and get £50 of this computer.  Then the partnership with
> the hardware dealers would come to fruition.
>
> There seem to be many strands evolving within this single thread.  I feel a
> bit like a bull in a china shop.  Is there a wiki which we can update with
> these individual project ideas?

Hi Andy,

And this to everyone, there is a wiki which I would encourage everyone to use
for this discussion so that we can build some intellectual capital around
marketing rather than just having good ideas disappear into the bowels of the
mail list server.

There are a couple of pages linked from
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Marketing

Marketing_campaign_Q3_2007 is the one Florian set up for this discussion

Marketing Activities Record is the one I set up to record marketing activities
so that we can see what works and what doesn't and thus improve on past
activities

It's good to see lots of discussion around this but we need to see decisions
quickly and we need to see people taking ownership of any tasks that arise
out of those decisions

We still haven't defined our demographic and target locations... Let's carry
this discussion to the Wiki.

Cheers
GL

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I wonder if we can partner with a hardware manufacturer. For example I
> > know tha Zonboo and Koolu are companies specializing in small "green"
> > computers. However the fact that they just have started might also face
> > marketing challenges and 'getting the word out'.
> >
> > I bet they will LOVE to see their brand on every cereal box. Also it
> > might be a perfect 'kids pc'.
> >
> > http://www.koolu.com/
> >
> > http://www.zonbu.com/home/index.htm
> >
> > Also there is other companies that are FLOSS-friendly that might be
> > interested:
> >
> > http://system76.com/  and http://tvease.net (MythTV PVR Builder)
> >
> > On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:14:08 -0500, andylockran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> So the main thing now is strategy.  IMHO we would be better finding a
> >> big supplier and in-effect outsourcing the box tokens to them.
> >> However, I'm sure they'll want to know the benefit to them. I suppose if
> >> we say 1,000 gets you a computer for the school - and 10,000 gets a
> >> thin-client cluster then that'd work.. but we've branched the idea away
> >> from OOo on CD. (and from OOo t-shirts).
> >>
> >> I think the box token idea is good - but for OOo specifially, I think
> >> the CD approach would work better.  There are already 'computers for
> >> schools' projects - and our message (in my opinion) should be re-use,
> >> rather than buy new.
> >>
> >> Regardsm
> >>
> >> Andy

> > --