Florian Effenberger wrote:
I think Mozilla isn't comparable with us quite well.
First, Mozilla is very active in the US, where OOo is virtually absent (although we have some outstanding volunteers, but given the size of the market the community there should be at least four times as big as in Germany). OOo is very active in several european markets, especially Germany, France and Italy, where the marketing activities are more sizeable and visible than Mozilla's. Being like Mozilla in Italy would mean stopping all marketing activities.

Second, Mozilla is focused on a browser, which is a very important product but has a key difference from OOo, as it reads documents, while OOo creates documents. Therefore, OOo can't be handled as a browser, as it has a different meaning for the end user (consumer and corporate). If the browser fails no problem, if OOo fails huge problems, and in fact you don't migrate a browser, while you migrate an office suite. Marketing is first and foremost a strategy, and then is money. Putting the money on "visible" activities for the sake of spending the budget has no meaning: first decide where you want to go, then invest (sometimes zero, because you just don't need to invest).
Mozilla's marketing people are mostly paid by Mozilla, i.e. they have much more time and ressources available. From what I know, Mozilla meets regularly with all team members, paid by the company. This for sure makes things much easier in comparison to what we have available. We can't simply travel through the world, attend every event and use 8 hours a day for marketing. :-)
Mozilla is a foundation, and therefore has a budget which is independent from companies. OOo is a project sponsored by companies which have never been marketing chanmpions, and it shows especially in the US, where Microsoft is at his best in terms of market (and marketing) presence.
For the resources we have available, I think we do a very good job - which doesn't mean that there is not room for improvement. ;-)
In several European markets, we do a very good job. In the US, we do a very poor job. This is the main difference, and it shows when we discuss over marketing.

Ciao, Italo

--
Italo Vignoli
tel +39.348.5653829