Kay Koll wrote:
> Lars,
>
>> Newsletter gets a web page, news letter is published as a web page, the
>> URL is sent to the mailing list with a plain text version underneath

> but this would imply that I have to create the newsletter twice.

Not if your HTML skills are any good.  Start with validation and CSS.
Then make a style sheet and empty document template that renders nicely
in lynx.  Then when each issue comes out, fill in the template and save.
 Voila.

You *have* to do that anyway for your regulatory conformance:

        http://www.ada.gov/stdspdf.htm

and to be indexed in Google and any other remaining search engines.

If you want to go without a helmet and safety belt and are cocky enough
about your web skills, then this should work on the first try:

        lynx -dump http://marketing.ooo.org/path/to/newsleter/current \
        |  mail -s "Current Issue" bigl...@marketing.ooo.org

> A simple text version and a HTML page. This is what I wanted to avoid.

So skip the HTML or else hone your skills.
Again, established best practices for HTML newsletters are that the
newsletter

        + gets an archive
        + a web page with the current issue is added to the archive
        + the URL is sent to the mailing list
        with a plain text version underneath

Mail is not a surrogate for a file system, no matter how much the
Windows mindset proponents bleat.

Now that web pages are afflicted with the Web 2.0 problems, the old
disadvantages have more weight than ever and are joined by new
disadvantages.

        http://efn.no/html-bad.html

Security, cost, accessibility, and interoperability are three of the
areas that take huge hits from HTML mail.  As an adult you and your
friends wouldn't put shit in a paper bag, set in on someone's porch,
light the bag on fire, ring the doorbell and run away would you?  Let's
not do the e-mail equivalent.

-Lars