Bernard,

It should be the user's choice if they want to get HTML or txt, as Kay already mentioned, creation of both is not much more work than just one.
Unfortunately this is in my opinion not possible. I am send the newsletter to the announce mailing list which handles the distribution. Using two new 'newsletter' mailing list would imply that everyone has to subscribe to one of this mailing list to receive a newsletter.

Regards

Kay

Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Hi all,

for me the question about HTML or txt is not a question of preferences, but of target audience:

OOo project members getting dozens to hundreds of text mails will not be interested in bloated HTML mails, but still want to be informed about what is going on outside their specific projects.

Other people that want to be informed about the project from the outside will be divided in two categories:

Some want to get plain text mails: Full information with the minimum of download/storage space.

Others are interested in eye-catching well designed HTML newsletters. I think this group is growing more and more: - Users that just want to hear a bit more about OOo that they already know. - People just reached by our marketing efforts: A bit curious, but not really interested.
- Internet lurkers appealed by our lovely homepage...

IMHO there is only one way to do our work properly:
- keep the text format on the announce mailing list
*plus*
- create a new list (or anything else) for HTML newsletters.

It should be the user's choice if they want to get HTML or txt, as Kay already mentioned, creation of both is not much more work than just one.

Best regards

Bernhard

Sun Microsystems GmbH                   Kay Koll
Nagelsweg 55                            Technical Marketing
20097 Hamburg Cloud Systems Germany Phone: +49 (0)40 23 646 742
http://www.sun.de                       Mobile: +49 (0)172 831 45 60
mailto:kay.k...@sun.com                 Fax: +49 (0)40 23 646 750

Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel