Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hello,
>
>>> Is much cheaper to improve the [online] communication up to
>>> become good enough than to spend most of the budget on
>>> transportation and accommodations.
>>
>> I agree very much with that and vote no, also.  I'm not seeing a
>> case for using the budget on transportation in this particular
>> instance.  In general, fuel prices increase almost daily and air
>> travel is embroiled in a lot of trouble, to put it mildly, so a
>> better solution is needed for the long term.
>
> I see your points, but I disagree out of three reasons:
>
> - People who had been invited to this meeting and can not attend are
> able to join via voice conferencing and/or Skype.

Skype =! VoIP.  One of the marketing or development goals for 2010,
should be a voice infrastructure to go with the mailing list
infrastructure.

> - It is much better to meet "in person" than only in the virtual
> world. We see this every year at OOoCon. If meeting virtually is
> enough, why have there been so many requests on phone conferences?
> Mailing lists would do as well, or IRC chat -- but more and more
> people want to interact better, "live".

VoIP != mailing lists.  We have several modes of communication:

 mailing lists
 chat
 physical meetings

We are missing:

 voice conferencing
 electronic whiteboards

> ...and surely would not be able to have two days of meetings from
> home without being disturbed...

A well-known phenomenon.

> ...especially when the agenda is planned for two days. ...

Without a context, there is not much of a way to even guess if that is
reasonable.  Do the tasks proposed warrant a physical meeting?

>> Let's use this meeting as a means to get some of the online
>> conferencing tools off the ground instead.  Somewhere there must be
>> a machine we can use to host Asterisk or another tool.
>
> If you remember, we had been planning a bit since the end of 2009,
> but feedback has been, well, silent. Most people told me it even was
> impossible for them to join via Skype,

Skype is not an option for many people.  Regular SIP-based VoIP is, at
least technically, available.  HOWTOs are missing, though.  I know
someone working on voice conferencing, but will have to check whether
the results will be useful for OOo.

> so no thinking about video at all.

Video is less important than a whiteboard.  The resolution of the
cameras is not good enough for showing drawings.

> As you can see, we try to establish virtual communication (e.g. with
> the planned marketing phone conference),

There is no merit in virtual communications.  Real communications can be
our target, whether using electronic, online or other means.

> but again, it's not the right solution for all things.

Nothing ever is.  However, having a standing VoIP-conferencing system
for OOo would at least reduce the need for travel or increase the
results from some online meetings.

/Lars