On 2010-06-17, at 03:26 , Peter Junge wrote:

> Hi Maho,
>
> Maho NAKATA wrote:
>> Hello, Florian, John, Cor and Italo,
>> (Cc: Terada-san)
>> I'm the project lead of ja.oo.o, and I'd like to request 1000
>> Euro for Terada-san's top page renewal work for http://ja.openoffice.org/ .
>
> I see one really big issue here. OOo has about 100 sub-domains for language
> projects, which were all maintained on a volunteer basis so far. If we would
> now start to subsidize one project, it would create precedence with the
> consequence, that we have to subsidize every language project, which then
> means we will need an extra budget of 100,000 Euros for web design. I'm not
> sure how these funds should be raised.

I sort of disagree, as I think the notion of "subsidize" can be clarified
fruitfully. For instance, I'd like to think about the idea of having a "slush"
or "reserve" fund that can be usefully deployed according to need. Adjudication
of such disbursals could be managed by the CC, under the guidance of the NLC
leads—Charles and me—with the CC holding not just  a rubber stamp but actual
discretionary ability, ie, it could say, "no."

An example of what is needed could relate to events that lead to the expansion
of the productive (contributory) community. It could also lead to new and
useful localizations. I suggested something like this—the protocol,
procedures—at the Hamburg F2F meeting last February, with the particular
instance being the localization of OOo to the Botswana language. There is
already considerable interest there. But funds are needed. The payoff for us
(so to speak) is hard to gauge, but this is the nature of such scholarship
disbursals: one is sowing but not necessarily reaping. At least not now.

But later, yes: if Botswana, or Japanese language groups can act efficiently
with funds donated by us, the OOo Community, then the upshot is more
contributions, more momentum, more ecosystem development.

> Best regards,
> Peter

Best
Louis