Hi Cor,

2010/8/26 Cor Nouws <oo...@nouenoff.nl>

> Hi Mirek,
>
> Mirek M. wrote (26-08-10 16:47)
>
>> 2010/8/26 Cor Nouws<oo...@nouenoff.nl>
>>
>>> Mirek M. wrote (26-08-10 11:41)
>>>
>>>  2010/8/25 Varun Mittal<varunmitta...@gmail.com>
>>>>

>   Oracle anywayz filed a suit only against Google.
>>>>>

>  it's attacking one of the most successful fruits of open-source because of
>>>>

>>> I do not know details - those are not yet known public, let alone that
>>> they
>>> are judged. So to me it sounds a bit premature to say that the patent
>>> suit
>>> is ridiculous.
>>>

>> Actually, these details are known. Have a look at, for example,
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20100813112425821,
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/13/oracle_google_java_prosecution/,
>> or
>> http://techdirt.com/articles/20100817/00061910645.shtml
>> And besides, many people, including me, believe that software patents are
>> counterproductive and "ridiculous".
>>

> Me too are an opponent of software patents.
> That does not automatically imply, for me anyway, that in current
> circumstances the patent suit is ridiculous. (Still, I did not read much of
> the linked articles.)
>

>  Anyway, I really hope OOo is branched by some other company that will
>>>>

>>> Did you ever think about time and money that Sun Microsystems did and now
>>> Oracle does invest in OpenOffice.org, that you can just download for
>>> free,
>>> several new versions a year, as much as you want?
>>>

>> Yes, I never said it didn't. What I meant was that another company should
>> take OOo and fix it up (kind of like what Go-oo does), make it even
>> better,
>> take over the userbase. One thing that always bothered me was how messily
>> structured the OOo's community participation was, and how long it took to
>> actually get things done.
>>

> This critique is justified I think, though I am not sure if go-oo, which
> you mention - 'cures all our diseases'.

It doesn't. It's basically just OOo with a few extensions and patches by
default. The rest is the same old OOo. But it's a good starting point for a
new branch.

> (You may notice that I criticised quite some issues in mails, council logs,
> ...)
> However, we are not sure what another sponsor or additional sponsors will
> bring for improvement here.
> How much we may criticise things, fact is that Sun did a really lot for
> OpenOffice.org.
> As far as I know, there are about roughly a hundred people working at the
> Hamburg office. That means more than 10 mlns salary every year. Apparently
> they managed (eventually) to get that done...
> (This all are common sense estimates: I do not know any business data from
> Hamburg. And if I did know, obviously I would not write about it.)

I liked Sun. It did a lot for OpenOffice.org and for open-source in general.

> We do not know if Oracle will put extra business goals on the team - apart
> from say; 'a bit better than break even'.
> Maybe they do. Maybe they will see OpenOffice.org as a special case,
> because of technology, spin-offs, or better market possibilities in other
> areas...

I think they'll see OpenOffice.org as a business opportunity. After all,
they renamed StarOffice to Oracle Open Office, so that it's easier to
capitalize on the brand name of OpenOffice.org. But I don't think Oracle
will be quite as open-source friendly as Sun was.

> It is not at all said that another main sponsor would do just as good as
> Hamburg does now, or do better.
> What I do hope, that we find a way to better organize the mutual interest
> of more big players within the OpenOffice.org-area. Say IBM, Novell,
> RedOffice, Canonical, ...

That'd be nice. There's definitely opportunity there: OOo seems to be the
second most used office suite and the success of Linux distributions can be
attributed in a large part to OOo (Linux without a usable and compatible
office suite would discourage a lot of people; not to say that KOffice or
GNOME Office have not influenced anything either).