On 10/04/2010 05:39 PM, Simon Brouwer wrote:

Apparently it's easy to forget that it has also continuously been putting in much of the effort baking it, and that it had provided the cake in the first place.

Please believe me when I say that it is not nearly as easy as it may seem from outward appearances.

I found out about this action the day before it was made public and I waited, as I was asked to, to talk openly with others until after the formal announcement. That day, of contemplation, may make it appear that I was acting almost spontaneously.

IMO the arrangement was definitely not ideal but also not particularly unfair.

IMO, it is a case of perspective, and I am cognizant of the fact that honorable people can have honest differences of opinion, with enough truth on all sides for each to feel justified in their beliefs.

That over the course of this period the members of the community governing structure not employed by the major corporate sponsor felt it necessary to create a non-profit foundation.

Certainly what one would call 'the community' included the major corporate sponsor.

What is happening now, IMO, is that Oracle is attempting to exercise a right of veto over the aspirations of the other members of the community.

I am not sure in how far it is correct to equate The Document Foundation with "the other members of the community".

Since Tuesday however I have been in communication with literally dozens of individuals, either by direct email, by phone call, IM, and open forums. To say that there is unanimous agreement with these actions would not be true.

There is as far as I can tell however a strong consensus amongst those I've spoken with that this is a correct course of action, even if there is great trepidation on the part of some of these individuals.

A few individuals are strongly opposed, a couple of them have begun to change their minds over the last few days and are now more receptive to this change, others have not changed their opinion.

I would assume that this is actually the case with folks in the offices in Hamburg also and I can only guess that many of you find yourselves caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place, others no doubt are less conflicted. *smile*

I'll finish with this - ain't no guarantees in life, sometimes you just have make a choice and then live with it.

In this case the choices in a very real way simply suck....I can't think of an eloquent way to say that.

Drew