FTR I choose Gossip because it was an slf4j impl I created which had more
features than slf4j-simple but was also very small, and I had already
previously implemented a ANSI color rendering scheme for it, as it was used by
Maven Shell.

Its true that Gossip doesn’t have the same features as slf4j-simple, because my
use-cases didn’t need it and thus I didn’t add code bloat for things I did not
need.  I think I mentioned before its possible to change that, but it also
wasn’t quite clear what was needed and I certainly don’t remember now.

FTR I didn’t realize that there were strong use-cases for folks fiddling with
the logging impl/config so much, vs just using the tool as it comes.

If you folks want to drop it and hack in something else, it won’t hurt my
feelings.  If you need help to adjust Gossip to do something I can probably
help.

—jason