Yes, in theory. In practise they are partially about sequencing cause maven
has nothing else handy (the merge in a multi module project is a headache
for most users i met). Also you cant not respect phases today (regarding my
impl).

Last point is that id the remark was on my last note, this is trivial to
fix by aliasing mojo executions - explicitly or not. The phases are plain
useless since a user will call a mojo, either with its dependencies to
replace phases (mvn +jar for example) or without (mvn jar).

Overall point is that phases now limit maven likely more it helps so for
maven 4 it is something to consider. Short term and for maven 3 i think a
compromise can be found to boost maven builds without requiring the hack to
create 5 modules where 1 is needed - which is current workaround.