Just to be clear: Multirelease jars is a JDK 9+ feature. With Maven it is
possible to make them, to test them and to run them. But they are pretty hard
to maintain.
So I would prefer NOT to try make Multirelease Jars of our libraries, unless
there's a very good reason.
The next version of Maven will require Java 8, so that already makes a lot of
improvements available.

If there is one thing that should be solved, but requires a lot of time, it is
support of ServicesLoaders
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6275

especially with the modular system more libraries have defined services and it
would be great if plugins could use those via the serviceloader factory or via
guice.
I should be able to find other interesting issues.

Robert

On 13-4-2020 16:41:40, Elliotte Rusty Harold <elh...@ibiblio.org> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 1:17 PM Markus KARG wrote:

> Having said this, it would be a really great feature to get an easy-to-use
> solution for creating multi-version-JARs.

This is probably the best idea so far. (Google specifically does not
want interns working on refactoring or maintenance work. New feature
development only.) Looking around I found this which appears to be a
few notes on the subject, but not more:

https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/multirelease.html

So I gather we don't have any multirelease support in maven yet, and I
don't think any is under way. That might be tractable for an intern
team provided they started with a clear design of what the input and
the output look like. Output is defined by the Java specs. For input,
we'd need to understand the source layout for multi-release jars. E.g.

src
main
java
java9
java14

or what exactly. We would also need to know how the pom.xml is going
to change to support this. If the maintainers think we can develop,
agree on, and commit to a specification for multirelease support in
Maven within the next month, then this could work. Does that sound
useful and feasible?

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org