Yes - you missed the fact that this already exists :)

Try to put thme POM for any of the dependencies which you are using in any
of your current project
to your local repository and "dependecy report" will use content provided
inside the <description> tag of that POM
This already works.

But there are two distinct things:

a) what given project does (this should be documented in project's own POM)
b) why it it was used (this should be documented in the pom of the project
which uses given artifacts)

Say that you have choose to use jdom in your project.
DOM and SAX apis are built-in into java and probably you have choosen to use
jdom for some good reasons.
Those reasons can be technical or non technical (e.g. you like it better
then DOM). Specially in the the first
case it will be  nice to document those reasons.

Michal