On 4 Dec 2006, at 16:51, Jason van Zyl wrote:

On 4 Dec 06, at 9:59 AM 4 Dec 06, Ralph Goers wrote:

Richard,

I love this idea and hate it at the same time. The idea of using numbers, as I'm sure has been pointed out before, just seems awful. But I understand what you are driving at. If there was a way to register named phases with the numbers that would be better.

OTOH, wouldn't it be better just to allow the list of phases to be specified in settings.xml?
Ralph

You can always make your own lifecycle, which is not that hard if you really need it.

Am I correct in assuming that you are refering to what, e.g., the release plugin does?

We will only expand the lifecycle as the need requires. It will never become a mess of spaghetti like Maven 1.x. To allow free form to accommodate the ever shrinking number of cases we can't handle is just not worth it. The standard lifecycle then disappears and Maven becomes a very hard to explain. It one of the fundamental differences between Maven and everything else and though we run up against some limitations it is one of Maven's most powerful attributes.

Jason.

Richard van der Hoff wrote:
Brett Porter wrote:
Actually, before we jump into this, let's consider the use case at hand. While easily solved by pre-package at this point, we may find other needs.

To take these suggestions even further, perhaps the idea of a fixed set of phases is too limiting. An alternative would be to number phases, from (say) 0 to 1000, with the current named phases as aliases for 100, 200, etc. Then it's easy for plugins which need it to slip in an extra phase.

I've lost count of the number of times I've told people on #maven that there is no way to ensure that a particular execution runs between phases X and Y. Admittedly, there's a bug which means that execution order isn't preserved within a phase, and fixing that would ameliorate this.

Anyway, I'm fully expected to be shouted down, and told that this will only lead to confusion; however, I think it's worth considering.

Cheers,

Richard