Aha!  Apparently this was fixed in Maven 2.0.5, as I just tested and
it failed with 2.0.4, but worked when I tried it right afterward in
2.0.5.

Similarly, I have a project that uses the xfire-generator wsgen task,
and I had it defined as an extension.  This works with 2.0.4, but is
broken with 2.0.5.  However, changing it to a plugin dependency made
it work again.

Beyond this issue of extensions vs. plugin dependencies, the rest of
my build worked fine with Maven 2.0.5.

-Stephen