On 4/11/07, Brett Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think it's more complicated than just removing that.

Firstly, large numbers of command line plugins will stop working.

Secondly, we need to provide a solution for implied plugins (we can
set the version in the lifecycle and then let the user give
pluginManagement to override it, but I'd like to see plugin 'packs'
as a better solution to reduce the amount of configuration needed).

Thirdly, we need to think carefully about the impact on existing
builds. We're not just impacting the people that wrote the build - we
impact the random people that grab a project and unwittingly try and
build it with 2.1 not knowing the author never tested that, and get
the bad experience.

Aren't existing builds buildable with 2.0.x ?

If the support for auto-resolution us removed and the build fails with
2.1, can't a message saying "you might want to try maven 2.0.x
instead".

Related to that, is there a mojo that identifies potential version
upgrades ? I.e. message saying "you are using version 2.1 of compile
plugin but versions 2.2 and 2.3 were released" (and even better with a
release date and link to changelog...).

Jerome