I think it's also a reasonable goal to allow people to use projects that refer to embedded remote repositories to build...that way, the build is totally self-contained. This is one of the things that the assembly plugin tries to do with its <repositories/> section (though it doesn't work very well so far...but that's just a matter of time).

IMO, file:// is a nice thing to have, unless we have some way of allowing the above to work without the file wagon being in core (maybe I'm not thinking about it the right way).

-john

On Sep 7, 2007, at 8:20 PM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

I don't currently, but have in the past used file:// for remote.

The use case was that we had to mirror our internal repo to another corp
network. We essentially zipped up the repo and transferred it to their
machine (regularly and automatically via scm), which set a mirror entry pointing to the local fs. This had to be done this way because a proxied connection to our internal repo was not allowed, they needed full copies
of the entire build in scm.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason van Zyl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2007 6:55 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Using HTTP repositories for consumption only

After thinking about Greg's comments I think it would be interesting
to ask people who actually uses anything but HTTP repositories for
consumption?

Deployment is a totally different story, but to radically simplify
the core what if we only allowed HTTP repositories for consumption in
2.1?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl