I'd basically like to use "snippets", or whatever you call them. However, if
you restrict them to a "plugin pack", then I'd consider them as half baken.
There are lots of other places where one could use them. For example, a user
on [EMAIL PROTECTED] has recently proposed to use snippets within configuration.

My recommendation would be use an XML preprocessor. Like this:

  <plugins>
    <include ... attributes to configure the include here ...>
  </plugins>

The XML preprocessor would replace the include element with an XML snippet.

Advantages:

- Easy to implement: It is sufficient to modify the code that reads pom.xml,
settings.xml,
  and/or profile.xml. (At least I would hope, that there is "the code" for
each of these ... :-)
- Powerful: Could be enhanced to do filtering or stuff like that.