On 29 Sep 07, at 1:30 PM 29 Sep 07, Wendy Smoak wrote:

On 9/29/07, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As the first alpha I don't really care. I just changed a bunch of
things and I will continue to change it. If you don't trust the
release plugin then I will stage one but it what is in trunk.

If for alphas people want it to be staged I can do that, but I'm
going to pop them out one after another until the issues all get
cleared up.

It has nothing to do with whether I trust the release plugin.  We need
to be voting on the actual bits to be released, not on the general
state of the code in svn.

Why, and says who? These things are not cast in stone and we have the ability to adapt the process to make it more productive.

I will publish it, no one will actually try it and the problems will just be found when it's released in the wild. The bits are put there and historically the only person who has found anything is the Kulper but that wasn't from actually trying the plugin it was looking at the contents. If the release plugin produces something legally intact and it's an alpha it's probably better to look at the code don't you think?

I don't really care. Staging a release is not a big deal, just invariably pointless for an alpha because 99% of the time no one will actually do anything with the staged copy. It's more important that the stuff gets cranked out for feedback so it can be fixed. I mean even with releases hardly anyone looks. It's nice idea in theory but if it serves no practical purpose what is the point. I was hopeful that the staged copy would illicit feedback but doesn't seem to have. Not much anyway.

I only say this because I see very little, if any feed back on release plugins, and even released versions of Maven. The best feedback I get is from plugins that I just crank out from Mojo and I get two or three people providing feedback and that really helps. I mean even staging it sometimes doesn't help if you look at the last release of Archetype. Releases must be scrutinized (even though they aren't) but let the alphas sail out fast and furious for feedback. We don't intermediary releases out fast enough because it still must be a pain in the ass for people which means only the determined will build from source which means we miss out on the vast majority of potential feedback. People should lock down there plugin versions (the enforcer plugin on the next release will help with that, and they should turn off any automagic update policy) so that we can release this stuff often and people can try it as they like.

We either adapt or people will continue annoy our users. People don't release often because something is wrong in our process. It is still deemed cumbersome because we still have the same pool of people doing releases and not many new people. Three +1 votes should really mean trying the software and actually reviewing code but we know that no one does that so what is difference really between pointing at a revision or trunk or putting some binaries somewhere?

--
Wendy

Jason

Jason van Zyl