On 9/29/07, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why, and says who? These things are not cast in stone and we have the
> ability to adapt the process to make it more productive.
>
> [...]
>
> I don't really care. Staging a release is not a big deal, just
> invariably pointless for an alpha because 99% of the time no one will
> actually do anything with the staged copy. It's more important that
> the stuff gets cranked out for feedback so it can be fixed. I mean
> even with releases hardly anyone looks. It's nice idea in theory but
> if it serves no practical purpose what is the point. I was hopeful
> that the staged copy would illicit feedback but doesn't seem to have.
> Not much anyway.

I agree with you but, even if those things are not cast in stone, it's
commonly used. If we were to adapt for alphas, betas or anything else,
I think it makes more sense to discuss it a bit instead of doing it on
your side without telling anyone.

That's not the first time you're doing this and it's personally confusing to me.

Cheers,
Stéphane

> I only say this because I see very little, if any feed back on
> release plugins, and even released versions of Maven. The best
> feedback I get is from plugins that I just crank out from Mojo and I
> get two or three people providing feedback and that really helps. I
> mean even staging it sometimes doesn't help if you look at the last
> release of Archetype. Releases must be scrutinized (even though they
> aren't) but let the alphas sail out fast and furious for feedback. We
> don't intermediary releases out fast enough because it still must be
> a pain in the ass for people which means only the determined will
> build from source which means we miss out on the vast majority of
> potential feedback. People should lock down there plugin versions
> (the enforcer plugin on the next release will help with that, and
> they should turn off any automagic update policy) so that we can
> release this stuff often and people can try it as they like.
>
> We either adapt or people will continue annoy our users. People don't
> release often because something is wrong in our process. It is still
> deemed cumbersome because we still have the same pool of people doing
> releases and not many new people. Three +1 votes should really mean
> trying the software and actually reviewing code but we know that no
> one does that so what is difference really between pointing at a
> revision or trunk or putting some binaries somewhere?
>
> > --
> > Wendy

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com

Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one,
you suck" -- S.Yegge