On 28-Feb-08, at 1:35 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

On 29/02/2008, at 5:51 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

I'm going to roll back all the WagonDAV changes as

1) As we discussed about extensions on the list that for deployment the required libraries necessary for deployment should be dependencies listed in the deployment plugin and not wired into the core.

2) The wagons can now be picked up with the dynamic collections so that's also not necessary to bind them in there.

Is this already in place? The use case is for deploy:deploy-file, so (1) is not an option.

Dynamic collections have been there for a while. And why is deploy:deploy-file a concern, and for webdav. This will be the case for all providers. FTP deploy doesn't work out of the box either, should be start adding everything because they need a POM to use deploy file with FTP. Probably not.

The other issue is why isn't just plain PUT fine. I don't know how it ever came to be that we pushed WebDAV.

As I said before - that's fine, but it should be working before the first alpha so that there's no regression in functionality.

It's never been there so it's not a regression because no one has ever used it or done it. If you need a POM to deploy-file that's fine. We're not going to start pushing in all the providers so people can do this. Pushing it all in the core, sprinkling the logic everywhere we need to handle the JARs especially the httpclient mess of commons-* is not very appealing.

3) Merging webdav into the main Wagon is a bad idea. Leave the simple provider alone and the more complicated ones are easy to add as dependencies or be loaded dynamically.

I assume you are referring to Joakim's change which is completely separate and on a branch, and so there's nothing to revert there?

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

-- Jakob Burckhardt