Quoting Stephen Connolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

you can use -DparentVersion=[1.3.4]

to force a specific version and it rewrites the pom without changing
any formatting or comments

That sounds very promising!

In fact, I've just downloaded the "patch" and found it's a complete plugin.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Create a new project on CodeHaus for this plugin instead of trying to get this plugin into maven core.

2. Rename the plugin to "pom" (for pom modification)

3. Make the plugin more general, i.e. allow to specify a simple XPath on the command-line and a replacement. Kind of XML search'n'replace.

4. Work on the current POM and all POMs in all sub-modules.

Since I need this pretty urgent, I'm willing to help to develop this. I'll send you a patch to your private address later today.

http://www.pdark.de/