Isn't Nicolas around, maybe he'd like to offer a translation?

Jason van Zyl wrote:
Thanks if that seems like a reasonable translation I will respond.

On 23-Apr-09, at 4:00 PM, Christian Edward Gruber wrote:

My french isn't perfect, but the article basically...

<summary>

...argues against you (Jason) personally having the habit of imposing dramatic changes by presenting them as a fait-acomplis.

There's a bit of a bill of rights: We have the right to choose archiva or nexus (which he labels as Jason & Friends' personal project), the right to replace plexus with XBR?, the right not to have wagon replaced by the jetty team without discussion (or something like that), and something about you "offering" to integrate this person's GWT plugin and have it hosted at sonatype (with a sarcastic "what an honour" at the end).

Essentially it's an argument that you and your buddies have created a "putch" and taken over what should be an egalitarian, apache-itarian project. But it's now your little pet project (you and your friends). There's a bit about Eugene's being excluded because he doesn't have the same high-profile as the rest of the team, etc.

He believes in the potential, even if M3 looks like far-off promise, but he's got a problem with the attitude of the core group. He thinks Maven's going the way of JBoss and Spring and becoming a "closed" opensource project. The whole thing's nearly entirely under the control of the Sonatype people... how long until a "Maven Pro" comes out?

If things continue this way, he's going to have to revisit Ant and Ivy.

</summary>

Fun fun fun. My own 2c... I don't care if Sonatype, codehaus, or an anarchic comune develops it, as long as they're responsive to bright ideas from the community and keep it open source. As far as I can tell, Jason, Brett, John, Emmanuel, and a host of others have done awesome things. I don't see Nexus as nefariously excluding Archiva, nor any other maven-launched projects like Continuum, etc. I just see this all as churn in the community as different ideas are tried. As long as we're not locked in, I have no problems with that. I know no one asked my opinion, but there it is.

cheers
Christian.

Could someone who speaks French please translate this for me before I respond:

http://blog.loof.fr/

I'm not a native French speaker so I won't speculate, but if someone would translate I would like to respond.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Christian Edward Gruber
christianedwardgru...@gmail.com
http://www.geekinasuit.com/

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

 -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language