On 08/09/2009, at 5:44 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

I don't think changing the POM or metadata formats in 3.0 is a good idea. 3.0 needs to be release and we watch how it's working and make any and all corrections to move 2.x users forward in a drop-in replacement fashion. In the planning for 3.1 we should start talking about additions to the model. I think in 3.x the metadata format can be used in 3.x and not affect 2.x. It's too late now to make something future proof in Maven for the POM and metadata model. I think that's going to take some serious work as I would like not to ever have to worry about versions changes again.

Sorry, I just meant the infrastucture to facilitate it, not necessarily changes themselves. Anyway, I agree on all that.

One strategy I have been using a lot is actually encapsulating pseudo model changes is specifying them in plugins. This might not be the most elegant solution but it works. I was playing around with this for mixins. I just specify they in a plugin instead of having to make model changes. It's backward compatible and it works. Low tech but the plugin element is the form of namespacing we have and maybe we just leverage that.

Makes sense.

On 2009-09-08, at 3:04 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

On 07/09/2009, at 11:55 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

I don't think this is very hard and for 2.x we could just leave the old format. 3.x can read both and we'll phase out the old format.

This has to include the POM too:

http://markmail.org/message/a42w3dqkmogbj4rq

I think there's pretty good consensus on this, and I've been itching at it for years. Is it in scope for 3.0 so that the POM and metadata can evolve going forward?

- Brett

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven