Sent from my [rhymes with tryPod] ;-)

On 7 Jan 2010, at 23:20, Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Currently you can only say "compile" is outputDependenant upon itself,
meaning it'll wait for "compile" in all upstream projects to finish
before proceeding. We also need to be able to specify the explicit
target of the dependency, so you could say "test" is outputDependant on
"compile" in all upstream modules.

I'm not familiar enough with internal workings of maven but I thought
that if project Y had a dependency on X and Y is compiled it uses the
installed X jar in the m2 repo (not the classes in X/target/classes)
i.e the "compile" of Y has to wait for "install" of X.

Which seems to reduce your capacity for concurrency.
What have I missed?

if you are using well written plugins only, and the lifecycle < package then it will actually use the classes dir

if the lifecycle >= package then it uses the jar,

eg mvn test on a multimodule will use classes, while mvn package on the same project will use the jar

in either case, the local repo will not be consulted, as the dependency is available from within the reactor