I am torn on this as Brett clearly is.

I haven't contributed much code in quite a while. The reasons are simple. Maven
2 is "stable" but has serious issues that can't be fixed without breaking
compatibility. Maven 3 has been under development for years with parts being
ripped out and redone several times. Maybe it is me but it seems like a lot of
this work has been going on within Sonatype without a whole bunch of discussion
here. In any case, I was just getting the feeling that Maven 3 is stable enough
to start looking at when you announce that you want to make significant changes
yet again.  Not that they might not be warranted, but I am definitely not in
favor of having core components of Maven hosted at a location that Maven
committers don't have commit rights to.

I find your pronouncement that it won't be here very troubling since you only
have a single vote just as every other committer does.

I'm going to have to give serious consideration as to whether I could accept
this dependency without the code also residing at Apache.

Ralph