OK, I am going to round off my view on the topic.

Guice integration: +1

Aether integration: +0.999999 _for now_... let's suck it and see... if it
works well and the interaction between the two code bases works well, then
all is good.

There is a generic issue when we have volunteers and paid for effort working
on the same code base.

* volunteers will necessarily have a lower velocity that paid for effort.

* paid for effort will generate more volatility from the point of view of
the volunteers and their velocity.

* too much volatility makes contribution harder

There are a couple of points that I see arising from the above:

* paid for effort bemoaning the lack of volunteer effort (which is a
side-effect of the increased volatility from the paid for effort) is not
really a constructive moan... it will more likely result in a decrease in
volunteer contribution.

* elimination of paid for effort will kill a mature project as volunteers
just don't advance things as fast as this new world needs things advanced.
Volunteers typically don't like to revisit the tricky problems as their time
is limited.

I don't see paid for effort going away, and it's a good thing too... but I
do think that the paid for effort needs to acknowledge the side-effects of
its velocity.

BTW, I see the above as being generic issues, not specific to Maven or
Sonatype.

-Stephen