A thing I forgot to add yesterday :

For me Maven is a success because of its fundamentals (rules/guidelines) which
allowed to created a large large variety of services with plugins.

The value of Maven is many many more in its plugins than in its core (I don't
want to reduce the work done on it which is really important but in term of end
user they are using before everything the large set of plugins).

To ensure a good future for the project I consider, that we have to do all the
necessary to better develop plugins.

For me even if I would like to have the time to work on core stuffs which are
really interesting, I prefer to try to work on plugins and to animate our
community of contributors around them. We don't need 100 developers for core.
But for plugins ....

It is already a big big challenge to maintain and keep them alive. You can have
a look at the list of "official" maven plugins to see the list of latest
releases. Even if a big effort where done, there a re always many bugs opened
and some plugins weren't released for more than one year.

That's also why I'm ready to let Jason/Sonatype drive the core and I'll focus
on plugins for the good of the community.

Cheers.