On 7/30/11 9:00 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
well it seems to me that we need to ensure that aether is not leaking into
our public api. if it is entirely private from plugins, then i really don't
care if it is epl or dual...

I agree completely.

But, how can we keep it from leaking into plugins, when it's using the same plexus component system as the rest of Maven?

This has long been a problem inside Maven, namely that we can't control _which_ components plugin devs have access to, and therefore we have an extremely difficult time deprecating/removing old components or reworking the internal design.

Maybe firewalling and restricting the list of core components available to plugin devs is what we really need to address in order to address this concern.

dual would be nicer, and truer to the original
plan whereby the code would be developed at github for speed, and then given
back to maven. that plan changed, and now the code is (likely) ending up at
eclipse... Jason has reasons for eclipse... that is just reality. personally
i feel that it is another merit hurdle to have the code at eclipse, but then
having maven at apache is a legal pain for m2eclipse because of eclipse's ip
review policy, so i can see why Jason would want as much of the code
m2eclipse depends on at eclipse.

in any case, let's wait

+1

I want to at least see Aether in a stable location with some real bylaws and culture before I'll be okay with it. This was supposed to happen long ago, and as I remember it, that promise is a big part of why we adopted Aether...

That, and this argument that we should give in to whatever demands are made by the People Who Are Getting Things Done Around Here.

Now, we see that the pressure is off to follow up on these promises, as long as we keep agreeing to adopt versions developed without corresponding movement on the promises. I think we have to take some sort of stand, or this will not improve.

Words are nice, but action is better.

- Stephen

---
screen