On Jul 30, 2011, at 4:49 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Many things changed within the ASF which made me extremely uncomfortable, and
> everyone is entitled to change their opinions and their decisions. It's not
> as if everything remained immutable on the ASF side. Yes, I changed my mind
> and decided Eclipse was the place I would like to do the majority of my open
> source work. If politics, the ensuing strife and resulting frustration
> weren't present I would probably feel differently. But I don't believe we
> ever blocked anyone from contributing.
>
> On Jul 30, 2011, at 4:41 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> 5.) Aether got more and more complicated, and it doesn't have interfaces on
>> the maven side not any other fixed set of SPI or API (imo a poor design
>> decision). The result is that we now have aether imports like a kraken
>> sitting in 30% of all maven-core classes.

This one is just inaccurate. The interfaces on the Maven side are close to 100%
backward compatibility with the existing APIs. We broke almost nothing and that
was a lot of work. You need zero Aether imports to do anything in plugins with
respect to artifact resolution. You can use them if you like but you don't have
to.  But's it not like we changed all the external APIs. I believe the vast
majority of the Aether imports are in the compatibility layer.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people can fix
bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

 -- Paul Graham