Has anyone considered making an rpm/deb bundle that essentially
contains a script which can fetch the associated tar.gz from the
apache site and unpack it?

It seems like this would be the best of both worlds. Hardly anything
ever changes in the package, people get easy access to "sudo apt get
install/upgrade maven" and there isn't a big concern about this bundle
being a different beast entirely.

I realize this suggestion might be blasphemy in some circles because
it isn't built again from scratch, yada yada, but it seems like the
hurdle that needs to be solved is simply download and untar the bundle
and set the path and env, and this has nothing to do with rebuilding
and tweaking the package.

my .02